Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Taty's First Few Days Rolled Into One Post

Group Picture (Some not pictured)


Since we have been so busy with the homeless challenge, today was the first time that I truly got to start to process my thoughts. In the last few days I have gained so much in experiences that I would not give up for anything. I do not think I expected this trip to have this great of an impact on how I view the world. Yet with our experiences over the last 48 hours, I have a completely different outlook on life than I did before I got on the plane for this trip.

As we entered into the 48-hour homeless challenge we were all quite nervous to be entering into a situation that we had barely any experience with. We were introduced to the challenge, given blankets, and told where we were going to meet up that night. We were then set free to wonder the streets of DC as homeless individuals.

I do not think I can even begin to explain to you what we experienced. You all will just have to come experience it for yourself. Our experience with the inhumanity of people that believe that they are above you is one of the most demeaning feelings. We were encouraged to panhandle, watch people’s reactions, and just expose ourselves to emotionally vulnerable situations. We went through the first 12 hours allowing ourselves to gain a glimpse of what the homeless community feels on a daily basis. By the end of the day we were exhausted and ready to settle down to go to sleep.

Sleeping outside!
The night time was probably the start of where I felt like I gained something out of the trip. We were given the luxury of having guides that showed us where it was safe to sleep, watched over us throughout the night, and shared their life story with us. Their insight on the homeless community was honest and humbling. While we slept we were exposed to the cold and the elements of being outside. Some of us were told to move throughout the night and move on to a different place. Needless to say it was not the most comfortable sleeping situation I have ever had.


One of the biggest things I gained out of this experience was having the stereotypes I had about the homeless community completely torn apart. During the last few days I have met some of the most amazing people ever. Some of them have been dealt the harshest hands in life and treated horribly by society. Even through that they still are still the most caring, humble, truthful, fun, and loving people. They opened my eyes to a community that I have been taught to ignore. The issue of homelessness is always talked about but I do not think many people want to take action. They are thought of as being a group that can be put on the back burner. Through this experience I had my privilege laid out in front of me and through this I and others can start to make movements. We can always work harder and there is no excuse. There is definitely a lot that needs to be done in our society, which can be seen through many different perspectives. Yet, homelessness is one of the many that needs more awareness than it is given. 

2 comments:

  1. Taty-

    It's really cool that you did this. I just spent my spring break a similar way in Austin, and I can relate to how eye-opening it can be. I agree that one of the biggest realizations is finding out just how dehumanizing the stereotypes surrounding the homeless community are. I think people are afraid to relate, or maybe they just don't know how. Maybe they find it easier to detach? Anyways, I am proud of you for taking action and deciding to understand more! It shows your compassion and ambition to understand and help others. I respect that a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tip my hat to all of you - I know I couldn't have done this. What a wonderful experience for you! Not specifically directed at you or the members in your group, but it's unfortunate that it has to take an experience like this for one to realize how fortunate most of us are. Many of us take so much for granted. Something similar like this would be a great program for our local high schools. It would be a great eye opener as well as a great attitude adjustment for many! I know your parents are very proud of you and I'm sure grandma Dianne is even prouder!

    ReplyDelete