Tuesday, March 26, 2013


Our challenge has come to an end, the morning started off really early. We went to the National Coalition for the Homeless. Not only had my perspective on the homeless community changed, but the challenge also gave a huge impact to my life. If someone told me that I will be sleeping outside for two nights, I'd probably not believe it. But doing the homeless challenge where I was homeless for 48 hours;I now understand that it takes a very strong person to make it through the night in the streets. I learned that society has become very sanitized when it comes to the homeless community. I remember how invisible I felt as I tried to ask for money when I portrayed as a homeless person. I didn't realized how fortunate I was until I heard the stories of the different people in the homeless community. This morning we talked about our highs, lows, and new perspectives of the last 24 hours of the homeless challenge. During this time, something that really stood out to me was when Steve, one of our guides during the nights of the homeless challenge, said "Even when you feel like your parents are being harsh, and being hard on you they are only doing this because they care and your success is your parents success." This really stood out to me because I have those parents, and I know that a lot of the stories interconnected. Such as when they shared their stories, many of the homeless said that they didn't have that support system, which brings me back to the point that my parents have always wanted what is best for me. I know that once I get back home I will let them know how thankful I am. The homeless are just like any other human being, why treat them differently? When I return home I plan on acknowledging every person who needs a helping hand. I hope to also start a food drive on campus.We also need to learn the stories of people because we would never understand why a person became homeless in the first place. Like some of the guides stated we have lawyers, doctors, educators that are now homeless. Homelessness can possibly happen to anyone; it does not discriminate. This is an experience that I will always carry on in my life and share with others. Learning about the homelessness by taking the role of a homeless person is an experience that I would never change because I have gained and saw a lot of perspective from society and self reflection. I hope to continue to be the change that our society needs in order for us to progress.

-Maleni Mendoza-Garcia

1 comment: