Friday, March 29, 2013

It's Not the End, It's the Beginning!



There are many things that could I reflect upon after this week long adventure in Washington D.C.  For example, I could talk about the amazing people that we met and how we (as a group) will hold on to their stories for the rest of our lives.  I could talk about the service work we did and how it has inspired us all to do more and act more in ways that will change the world.  I could also talk about all the food we ate and all the food we didn’t eat (especially during the homeless challenge).  OR I could talk about how the city comes alive at 4a.m. and wakes the street sleepers up with it.  But I can’t.  I can’t talk about those things.  


It is not that those experiences weren’t amazing to me—because they were.  But through this whole trip there was one constant, beautiful, even more amazing thing that I encountered. This was a life changing trip for me and it is all because of the people on it.


To Cristina, Kate, Taty, Steven, Maleni, Mariya, Muna, Jezebel, Ayja Pa, and Corinne, thank you.


You are a young group of world changers and I feel so honored to have been the staff member on your trip.  Each day you had me smiling, you had me excited, you had me happy, and you had me remembering why I came on this trip—to show the world that there is goodness and it is in the form of people serving people.  You all were open to trying new things and having new experiences in ways that, when I was a student at HU, I don’t think I would have been able to do.  I can’t explain how proud I am of you and the work that you have done this week. Each and every one of you are strong individuals who will make the world a much better place.  Thank you for everything that you have done and will continue to do.  Keep being the people you were on this trip and one day, sooner than you think, homelessness will end and it will because of you. 


I love you all and couldn’t be a prouder Mama Maryse.  Thank you.  Thank you. Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment