Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Read Me a Bed Time Story, Please?



The Homelessness Challenge was such a great experience. I learned so much about not only homelessness but also how to survive with nothing but the clothes on my back. The most influential part of the trip was sleeping on the streets. To be honest I was absolutely terrified to sleep outside in Washington, D.C. but I stepped outside of my comfort zone and did it! My guide was Anthony and he took us to an alley way to sleep. We went dumpster diving for cardboard to sleep on.  This was such a grounding experience to dig through the garbage to find cardboard to use as what I would call back home a mattress. All four of us girls huddled together for warmth as Anthony our guide began to tell us his story of how he became homeless. His story was very powerful and put in perspective that anyone can become homeless. This part of the trip was my favorite because I felt like I really got to know Anthony and I got a chance to ask questions that I otherwise never would have gotten the chance to. Anthony's story is something that I will never forget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment